200g castor sugar
250g self raising flour
pinch of salt
1 level teaspoon of baking powder
250 g softened unsalted butter
4 large eggs
for the syrup
150g castor sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1. Invite your friends for afternoon tea and instead of reaching for the packet of biscuits at the back of the cupboard preheat the oven to 160deg C.
2. Line an 18 cm round cake time with baking paper.
3. Zest and juice lemon. Pulverise the zest with sugar in the food processor.
4. Sift flour with salt and baking powder and add with butter and eggs to food processor. Process until smooth. Pour the mixture into prepared tin and then gently smooth the top and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Just before the cake is cooked make syrup by mixing sugar with lemon juice in a small bowl.
6. Turn the hot cake out onto a serving dish, prick gently with a skewer on the top and spoon syrup over. Leave to cool.